The last year felt like I was doing nothing, all the time. Being in a retrospective mood I decided to compile all images Wayne and I completed on the street in 2017. Though mostly reproductions, ’17 was probably our most prolific year.
A Manticore literally means “Man-Eater” from early Persian and found a place in Greece/Roman mythos from various authors such as Aristotle, Pausanias, Pliny the Elder. Pausanias logically relates the Manticore to the Tiger, and really, given the reputation as hunting men and other predators and the intelligence of the tiger, it makes complete sense.
The Manticore makes a perfect monster, why? It embodies every fear of man, the lion, the scorpion and any other mix of terrible creatures, but nothing is more fearful than our fellow man, the face of the Manticore. The monster is humbling and a reminder that nature is a greater force than the human condition and the human is part of nature.
The images Wayne has created are to me, humbling. Both the male and female versions are frightening and disturbing, but that is what we need to see. Too often we put up these fantasies that we are above nature, that we rest within safe zones. This only serves to increase our fears of pain and death, to be confused when we actually experience what it is to be an animal. We shy from natural forces, when, at any time, the Manticore can strike us.
My partner Wayne is doing a series of Manticores, some are freaky and graphic, but still fall within realms of art. He describes them as satire, akin to something seen by Goya. Anyway something I want to make clear:
- Facebook posting policy, TOS, allows artistic representation of graphic subjects and nudity.
- These images are obviously artistic.
- The pictures are fantastic and related to mythology.
- The images are deliberately drawn in a non-realistic, cartoon-like fashion.
- The picture in question (The Female version) was banned for “sexual violence”, sexual intercourse usually requires two humans. A Manticore is not human, it is a monster. Their names literally mean “Man Eater”.
For your viewing pleasure, I proudly post them here.
The title pretty much says it all! Thank you to my sponsors!!! Donations are my main means of income with most of our earning going straight back into making art. Here are some updates of street art and private work.
If you’d like to become a sponsor here is my Patreon.
I wish to give my thanks to my Patreon sponsors, the donations I’ve been receiving has been really helpful lately. As a gift to my readers and admirers here is some updated photos of our work.
We’re making these pictures really fast and gathering a collection, if anyone is interested in buying feel free to email me for info.
If I have any local followers there will be a screening of a documentary about Wayne and myself at the St Kilda Film Festival, 19th of May at 6:15pm. Click here for more details.
The doco was shot in August last year over two days, it was amazing seeing the passion and process of other artists in a field I’m unfamiliar with.
I’ve seen the documentary, it’s funny and really encapsulates the relationship between us, plus beautiful shots of our work. If it is made public online I’ll share it here.
TWO MINDS ARE BETTER THAN ONEDirector:Felix GuerraProducer:Felix GuerraScreenwriter:Felix GuerraPrincipal Cast:
Mark Gage, Wayne McMillan
Wayne Mcmillan and Mark Gage are two pavement artists based in Melbourne, Australia. They have a unique relationship that allows them to create fantastic masterpieces.
Just updating and sharing recent commissions completed by my partner, Wayne McMillan. All but Antinous maybe be purchased as prayer cards from WyrdCuriosities.
The Antinous commission was really interesting to do. Previous icons Wayne chooses how and what he depicts of the god in the icon. The Antinous, however, was a very specific cultic expression of the god. This required detailed back and forth client / artist communication, sketching, divination and heavy research. A fascinating and complex challenge.
My partner Wayne is offering icon oil paintings on board. 6 by 8 inch icon is $350USD. Larger sizes are possible increasing from the base price.
These are original, one of a kind, pieces of devotional art. Created to be used as sacred icons.
As these are religious work there are some terms and conditions:
– Wayne maintains the right to deny work for whatever reason.
– Payment for the artwork must be up front before work begins.
– Payment preference is PayPal or direct bank transfer.
– These pieces are painted in the highest professional quality oil paint on prepared board, they can take a few months to design, create, dry and ship. We expect clients to be aware of how much time they can take.
– As of now this is part time work, we both have multiple projects going. Clients are welcomed and encouraged to request updates if there are delays. But please respect that these take time, you have been warned. (Twice now.)
– Wayne and myself are experts on the Hellenic / Italian pantheons, these cultures are a preference. Other pantheons such as: Norse, Celtic, Middle Eastern, Hindu and Asian etc. may be possible. For obscure or unfamiliar gods we expect client input. We will go through an interview process if required. Monotheist religious icons *may* be possible, this has to be negotiated, we are polytheists… there are plenty of talented Christian iconographers out there.
– Clients are welcomed to give input, but the artwork is final. Alterations to the design based on client input may require extra funding at our discretion.
– Paintings can be shipped by post, but must have insurance, tracking, etc. If clients prefer we can ship by courier or other options, obviously, expect much higher costs for these services.
Our shipping fees to the US range between $40 to 60+USD.
Australian postage is between $20 to $30+AUD.
International courier prices are between $90 to 170+ USD.
We prefer to give a quote and request the amount for shipping when the painting is packed and ready to ship. So please set some money aside for the final shipping quote.
– It is possible to order multiple paintings which can be shipped together. Note that there is an insurance threshold for standard post, $2000 AUD.
– Wayne owns the copyright of all artwork. Clients may request limited licensing for prints and sales. This must be negotiated prior to use.
We attempt to be as fair as possible with our clients and we both take this work very seriously as a devotional duty. Each piece is consecrated with prayers and offerings during the creation and the packing process.
My input is limited, however I aid Wayne in some areas such as spiritual services and research. I act as liaison between clients and Wayne. If you would like to take a commission you may contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For the last few weeks my partner, Wayne has been working on a new street art design illustrating the god Phanes (Phanos). It was suggested that we adapt this design into a prayer card to which Galina Krasskova was more than happy to offer her services. Galina’s prayer card project is wonderful for many reasons: foremost it encourages and sponsors images of our gods, second it supports our artists, and third it brings the polytheist community together via fundraising.
The last part I wish to stress, these cards cost money to produce but as a community we can easily reduce these costs down via crowd sourcing. So please take a moment to click the below link and if possible give some cash. There are added perks for sponsoring cards too!
Lastly I present the current design for the street (WIP).
The card will only include the main figure of Phanos and we’ll work in more of his attributes too.
Here is a progress shot of street drawing:
Enjoy and thank you!
Aγοράζω (agórasa) Meaning: Buy, Purchase. This is a new page on this blog.
Here you can see work for sale. Prints are available with variant prices. Contact me to negotiate print prices, original work have a set price, shipping is variable too.
I’ll update this page regularly, so check back often!